It was Jake’s birthday this weekend which meant that I couldn’t make it to CodeCampOz with the rest of the Readify boys. But keeping with my geek theme this week, I wanted to make him a cake that he would get a kick out of. So, I baked up a big block cake then proceeded to cut it to pieces.
He was a little distraught until he realised it was taking shape (or is that shapes?) into something he recognised. After applying some icing and really basic decorations he had a Nintendo DS Lite, a Gameboy Advance and an Xbox controller. For reference, besides the actual baking time, this cake took about 20 minutes to cut, ice and decorate, so it’s a really easy option for anyone with gamerKids. If I had more time, I probably would have used different icing and I would have definitely found a better icing gel than the black one I had (which ran on a couple of the D-pads), but overall they were pretty cool.
And most importantly, Jake loved it, as did his friends who came over. We took the five of them out for all-you-can-eat buffet lunch, followed by ten pin bowling and then back to our place for the cake, pool and Xbox 360.
So, that makes this week a real geeky time:
- Was interviewed by Nick Hodge for GeekStories.
- Did a rant about Disney portraying video games as "not good".
- Played Clubhouse Games with my kids at a doctors surgery on our three Nintendo DS handhelds.
- GamerGeek cake making (this blog post).
- Decided that GAMEparents was too important to close down and am giving it one more go.
- Played heaps of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 2 – favourites were Guitar Hero II and Burnout Revenge.
- Ordered a new board game that looks awesome – Descent: Journeys In The Dark. 🙂